PC reboots for no reason?

albu 14:33 09 Mar 03

My pc reboots for no reason at all. No error message is shown either, can anyone help please?. I'm running Windows XP Home.

spikeychris 14:41 09 Mar 03

Its what WinXP does instead of a BSOD. First things first is to stop the re-boot.

Control panel\system\advancedIn the startup and recovery section - click on settings - un-check
automatically restart.

Windows XP will then not re-boot when something goes wrong and give you error codes and explanations as to why this is happening.

Chris

AndyJ 14:45 09 Mar 03

Could be many things. Have you checked your power connections and that the leads are OK?

It could be you have incorrectly seated, or faulty, memory. Could also be the Power Supply Unit or incorrect power save settings in BIOS.

Could also be something I haven't thought of :-)))

AndySD 14:46 09 Mar 03

Go Start / Control Panel / Settings / System (in the Classic-style Start menu, Control Panel is under Settings). Click Advanced / System And Recovery / Settings. In the System Failure section, clear the Automatically Restart check box, then click OK.

Next time you will get a BSOD and an error message.... post it back here....

But this is often cured by updating drivers. Can you tell us the make/model of your motnerboard, graphics card and sound card.

Also try using the system file checker.

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

AndyJ 14:52 09 Mar 03

Agree with the other postings. However, I forgot to ask, when you say "for no reason" does it always happen when you are using one particular application?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…