PC reboots itself

Ultrafox 17:17 13 May 06

Hello everyone,

About a week ago I sarted to experience problems. Peripherals (USB graphics tablet, USB wireless adapter) would stop working, the screen would start flickering and the machine would reboot itself.

I opened the computer up and started removing things (expansion cards etc). I also hoovered all the fluff out of the fans in case it was an overheating problem. I took out a memory stick and that solved the problem for a day or two but then it started happening again.

Now the computer won't boot up at all (restarts halfway through the boot sequence).

I had the task manager running and I noticed that the flickering screen etc. corresponded with 100% cpu usage.

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem - possibly the psu or motherboard. Unfortunately I can't remove the master hard drive because a screw head has snapped off and it's effectively stuck in the bay.

Other things I noticed: sometimes when I turn the machine on the cooling fans seem to run slow.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

I am running an AMD xp1800+ with Windows 2000 pro, an Asus motherboard, 2x500 meg memory, 2 hard drives, Matrox video card, Soundblaster Live! soundcard, network card, USB hub, wireless card and firewire card.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Love Redfox XXX

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 13 May 06

By default when WinXP encounters a system failure, it reboots without warning. The setting that controls this can be changed:
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Settings (Startup & Recovery)/System Failure/Uncheck-Automatically Restart.

To view the event log: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/eventvwr.

Ultrafox 17:35 13 May 06

Unfortunately the machine won't boot at all now

BTW, there's something else I forgot to mention - sometimes the computer will reboot into BIOS safe mode with the message that the computer booted at the wrong CPU speed. Don't know if this is signigicant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…