PC Reboots after Game installation

dangerusone 14:51 18 May 07

Every time when I install a game and install an icon on the desktop, when I click on the shortcut to open the game my PC reboots. There is nothing to say there is a problem and must shut the application down,after rebooting everything works fine until I try to play the game again and the same thing happens again.
This happens if it is a shop bought game ie. Arcade Chess or one downloaded from the internet for my granddaughter to play.Any advice would be welcome. I am running XP

alansabout 19:34 18 May 07

What spec is your PC and has it all-ways behaved like that?

dangerusone 22:03 18 May 07

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz AMD Sempron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: K8Upgrade-NF3 1.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. L1.01 07/11/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
122.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
8.01 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L [CD-ROM drive]
TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162C [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Maxtor 6Y120L0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y3P5GKEE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 122.93 GB 8.01 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printe

Hi Alan,is this info what you need.
I think I've picked something up on my travels because I've scanned with AVG,Adaware,Spybot and the all seem to pick different things up. I did the scans when I was offline with system restore switched off

dangerusone 22:09 18 May 07

It has just been the last couple of weeks, I bought a cheap "Arcade Chess" and when that started the rebooting I just put it down to being a rubbish game, then it happened to a couple of games I downloaded for my granddaughter which makes me think I've got a bug of some kind

wolfie3000 01:37 19 May 07

If your after a good chess game then this one is the best out there.

click here

The graphics are stunning (for this type of game)
And it plays well.

i cant see what graphics you have, possible driver problem?
i have had the same problem on my pc, both times it was the power supply struggling and both times after upgrading my graphics card, if you load a game i suppose its a power surge as cpu gpu and hdds all need power, it does seem like hardware to me.
run this click here its safe to run it and let it do its stuff on the standard settings, then scan with avg and adaware and post the results.
adam

dangerusone 11:55 19 May 07

Asrock K8 Upgrade NF3 Motherboard
Radeon 7000 Graphics Card

adman, the power supply issue seems to be a logical step to look at. I've run CCleaner & I'm now scanning with Ewido (seems to be finding one or two Medium threats)

I've never bother with games in the past, When I bought the computer I was assured it was adequate for the job intended ie. messing about with music tracks, which it has been OK with but my granddaughter is growing up and pestering me for games so whats a grandad to do.

click here
i would get rid of any malware before upgrading. is it only the games that cause reboots? you have stated it does it with 2 games, i would guess at psu, how ever i would be a little unhappy if i replaced mine and it didnt solve the problem, so i would try and get any malware of the pc first, keep to the cheaper option first and foremost, you have turned off system restore if your av cant remoce try again in safe mode.
when my psu's were failing the problem became more evident quite quickly, i replaced mine quickly, so not to damage other componants.
maybe others will offer some possible reasons for the reboots.
adam

alansabout 15:44 19 May 07

Hi dangerus1 sorry for not getting back for a whilebut you seem to be getting some good advice, just one thing I know it my seem a bit obvious but what resoloution are you running if it is set to high that can make games to crash.

dangerusone 20:23 19 May 07

alansabout

Resolution is

1024 X 768

32 bit Colour

you got rid of the nasties yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…