PC rebooting on shutdown

Dell-boy 21:01 08 Dec 06

Hi,
My sister-in-laws Dell Dimension 3100C has started to reboot when you shut it down. The shutdown works fine, but then it reboots again on its own, we cant turn it off!! Have looked at the "reboot on system fault" setting and it is unchecked. I think it may be a software issue causing a dud entry in the registry - what do you guys reckon? Is it possible to copy the registry from one PC to another and if so how?

Thanks.

Technotiger 21:06 08 Dec 06

Hi, no I would not think it is possible to copy reg from one pc to another, even if it was I doubt if the pc would work with a 'strange' reg in it.

If your sister-in-law is closing down in the normal way, i.e. Start>Turn off Computer, is she sure that she is not then clicking on Restart instead of Turn Off?

Cheers

Dell-boy 21:08 08 Dec 06

Hi, yeah, she's doing everything fine - i have spent about 3 hours with it today and cant get it to work properly either!

Technotiger 21:09 08 Dec 06

If it is a Registry fault, she should run RegScrub, this fixes a lot of problems. If she does try this, then she should not be surprised if RegScrub lists hundreds of faults in the registry, this is quite normal, just let RegScrub fix them all.

click here

SANTOS7 21:12 08 Dec 06

Last thing you want to do is muck about with the registry of either computer if it goes wrong you may well render both useless.
Could be virus spy/malware related scan PC with antivirus and spyware progs you have..
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

the links are to (free) progs that if you do not have may help..

Dell-boy 21:17 08 Dec 06

Cheers - i'll give them a go and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac