PC rebooting itself

JohnGea 14:20 17 Jun 03

The pC keeps rebooting itself several times whilst I'm working on it and then cuts out completely,if I disconnect the power supply it will sometimes! start again immediately,not always.Other times the PC starts but will not boot up until I press the reset button several times,while this is happening the power switch is inoperative.I have replaced the Hard drive and put the OS(ME)back in and it still does it,so its possibly not the software.anyone got any ideas?
John

OK Computer 14:33 17 Jun 03

It sounds to me like you may have a faulty power supply that is over heating.

I had similar problems where a PC was cutting off after about 20 mins and I couldnt turn it on for a few hours. Replaced the power supply unit in the PC and it resolved itself

OK Computer 14:34 17 Jun 03

Re-reading your message it could be motherboard related too! Sorry! I read your message a bit too quickly!

JohnGea 14:41 17 Jun 03

Thanks for that,the power supply was my first thought as well,but why wont it switch off sometimes when I plug it back in, and it does'nt boot up?

OK Computer 14:58 17 Jun 03

Thats the thing that made me slightly back track on my orignal reply. You shouldnt have problems booting...

woodchip 15:18 17 Jun 03

To try your PSU for being underpowered, remove power plug from CD-ROM drive and anything you do not need running so it allows you to do some work as a test to see if it still cut's out. If it's OK then that's the Prob

JohnGea 16:12 17 Jun 03

OK and woodchip,Many thanks,Ok's mention of the motherboard got me thinking(it does'nt happen often)so I dusted and vacuumed the M/B and its been running for an hour now without rebooting(touch wood)If it happens again I'll try woodchips idea.My only problem now is my Greeserve broadband keeps disconnecting,I previously assumed it was the same problem,any ideas?

woodchip 23:18 17 Jun 03

Noise on the line, lift your phone and see if you can hear crackling. Ring BT and ask them to up the gain on the line as you have got noise

JohnGea 20:20 18 Jun 03

The PC went down again last night,and so I replaced the psu with an old one, albeit with only 250W, and it has stayed stable all day,even under heavy use,so it looks like you were both correct,many thanks to both of you. John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced