PC Randomly Shutting Down - Help!

son of bof:) 17:41 28 Mar 04

Hi All,

After recently upgrading my PC, it ran fine for a month or so then I started to encounter some problems after I put in a new fan, however I took it out thinking it was a power problem. After I took the fan out I kept getting the same problem again.
My PC completely powers down, I have to flick the power supply's switch to get it to boot up again, I also have to wait about 30 seconds before it will even switch on again. I've rebuilt the PC earlier to ensure it wasn't a power/shorting problem, and I've switched the PSU totally from the Antec TruePower one to one from my old case.
Still experiencing the problem :( however. Ran thorough checks - scandisk/defrag/virus checks. Installed all windows updates to eliminate possibilities such as MS blast etc.

Here's my PC specs if it helps any:

Antec SLK1600 Solution Series Case
ASUS A7V600 Motherboard
AMD XP2600+ 256kb (333mhz)
1024MB Crucial Technology PC2700 RAM (333mhz)
Seagate 40GB 7200RPM Barracuda IDE hard drive
GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB
SoundBlaster Audigy
Samsung 52x CD/RW
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM

The motherboard is running at a steady 25/30 degrees and the cpu hangs around 55-60 (which is a bit how I know :/ but shouldnt be causing a problem).

Any help is deeply appreciated,

Thanks,

(A very frustrated) Ben

Diodorus Siculus 17:47 28 Mar 04

Still sounds like overheating to me... despite what you say.

Is there an option in the BIOS to shutdown at a particular temperature?

son of bof:) 17:51 28 Mar 04

I dont think there is, I've pillaged through the BIOS with a fine comb, with no luck though =/

Diodorus Siculus 18:02 28 Mar 04

After what period of time does it shut down?

And after a restart, how long does it stay on?

son of bof:) 18:10 28 Mar 04

Well, it shuts down completely randomly, it can be on hours or minutes, and if i reboot afterwards it usually tends to shut down fairly swiftly again, 10 minutes or so :(.

CPU running @ 45 degrees at the moment

JerryJay 18:35 28 Mar 04

The main reasons for Random system crash are (1) Overheat and system show down to protect CPU (2) some memory are bad (only crash when bad memory are used) or bad HDD sector (again only crash when bad sector used).

son of bof:) 19:36 28 Mar 04

There are no bad sectors on the hdd :)

Is there any particular way of checking for bad memory?

JerryJay 19:47 28 Mar 04

memtest86 click here, memtst86+ click here, Windows Memory Diagnostic, click here, Sunday, March 28, 2004

DocMemory Diagnostic, click here

son of bof:) 01:38 30 Mar 04

Thanks =]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…