PC randomly shuts down

stevebunce 10:06 17 Oct 05

Please can anyone help? I am running XP Pro SP2 and fairly recently the PC has started randomly shutting down, it goes through the logging off process and it's getting quite annoying. I formatted my HDD and reloaded windows and it seemed OK but the problem has come back, the PC is fairly old its a HP iMedia probably about 4yrs old. Never had this sort of problem before.

w1z8rd 10:17 17 Oct 05

Have you scanned for a virus?

stevebunce 10:29 17 Oct 05

Yes I have done a virus check nothing found

andrew-196854 11:20 17 Oct 05

maybe a bit of software you have installed recently since the clean install worth checking ?

steve bunce 11:44 17 Oct 05

I think it was doing it after formatting and before I installed any software (not 100% sure), but it's worth uninstalling all software just incase.

phil46 13:33 17 Oct 05

Have you checked the event log?? this will tell what caused the shut down,i wouldn't worrie about the age of your computer i have a 7 year old computer
it works well with XP.

steve bunce 22:25 17 Oct 05

I think I have cracked it, I found that in the power settings the 'enable hibernate' tab was checked, I've managed to disable it now and everything seems OK for now, thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…