PC Protection & Broadband

laser sailor 12:59 11 Feb 05

I'm shortly going to connect up to Broadband with a new PC, using XP OS.

Any suggestions on what protections to load up re firewall, virus guards and the like ? Do I use "freebies" such as Ad-aware, Zone Alarm & Spy-Bot or should I unlock my wallet and pay for, say Norton 2005 Firewall ?

Why does the ISP say to leave the PC on all the time ? Seems like a route to disaster.

Thankyou

gudgulf 13:08 11 Feb 05

You will be fine with the free applications...it's entirely up to you if you want to pay for something like Norton Internet Security suite.I have two pc's connected to the net one has Norton the other uses Zone Alarm ant AntiVir av,neither have problems .

As for leaving your pc on all the time,which ISP is this? Providing you keep everything updated regularly I don't see a reason for them to suggest that.I certainly turn mine off when they are not needed.

diddi.ash 13:10 11 Feb 05

I always turn mine off at night before bed!

fuzzyone 13:10 11 Feb 05

laser sailor,

the freebies you mention are very reliable for broadband, and are the ones I use myself.

I also use spywareblaster.

It is a simple matter of disabling your LAN in the network settings in control panel, to disable your internet connection.

I use a shortcut to my desktop for this.

Never heard of an isp telling anyone to leave their pc on all of the time, and don't see why this should be so.

garrema 13:35 11 Feb 05

I use Zonealarm as a FW, AVG antivirus, spyware blaster and the adaware, spybot combo. All free and work well with BB.
Infact I uninstalled my 'Afee security centre due to various frustrations and find the Zonealarm and AVG very user freindly.

I read, THG I think, that most PCs use 40-60 W when idle with screensaver which does not bother me too much but at night turn it off anyway. Would you leave the bathroom light on all night?Disconecting the BB is for me simple - I turn it on and off on when away for a few hours - just a personal thing and connection takes seconds.

Jackcoms 13:38 11 Feb 05

I've been using BB for about 8 months now and I ALWAYS disconnect whenever I'm away from the PC for any length of time. It ensures that it's not being attacked by nasties.

The PC is also set to hibernate overnight which saves power and I always turn it off completely whenever I know I'm not going to need it the next day.

laser sailor 13:42 11 Feb 05

Thanks guys, I'll relock the padlocl on my wallet

laser sailor 13:43 11 Feb 05

......and I'll turn off, electricity costs money after all ........

FelixTCat 14:20 11 Feb 05

The only reason that I can think of for leaving your pc on all the time is to maintain your IP address. Unless you have a static IP address (for which you normally pay your ISP extra), every time you switch on, you are given a different IP address. For most of us, not only doesn't this matter but it can even be an advantage. However, if you are running an FTP server on your network, changing your IP address can be a pain for those trying to find the server.

From what you have told us, I doubt that this will be an issue for you!

imakemist 15:02 11 Feb 05

Just to-day I read an article that suggested leaving a PC on all the time It seems that this reduces wear and tear on the system, but it's not something I would really care to do myself. As far as on-line protection is concerned, various computer journals have carried out independent tests and systems such as AVG are up there with Norton and McAfee. Zone Alarm firewall also gets the thumbs up. I might also mention that Adaware and Spybot are compatible and can be usaed together.It took me ages to fing that out. Anyone considering replacing another firewall with Zone Alarm, REMEMBER TO COMPLETELY UNINSTALL THE OLD BEFORE ADDING THE NEW. I forgot to do this on one occasion and screwed up my computer big-time! It never really recovered. Best of luck.

spuds 15:58 11 Feb 05

Similar thread click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…