PC Protection.

trenchn 15:18 15 Oct 07

I am hoping to protect my PC from all unwanted ills for as little dosh as possible.
What do you wise people advise. I'd like to cover all areas if possible. Virus, Hackers, spyware, worms, etc. What else do I need to be wary of and how do I protect myself? If I use, for example AVG do I disable the windows Firewall?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Nick

mfletch 15:24 15 Oct 07

Hi, have a look at these All are free,

If you want free Antivirus and free antispyware,
Here is a list of recommended free downloads.

<b>ANTIVIRUS DOWNLOADS</b>
1/ AVG Antivirus click here

2/AVAST Home edition click here

<font color="red">Attention Only use One Antivirus</font>

<u>You will also need a firewall</u>

<b>FIREWALLS</b>
1/ ZONE ALARM click here

2/ COMODO click here

3/ Ashampoo click here

<font color="red">Attention Only use One Firewall</font>

<u>You will also need Antispyware</u>

<b>ANTISPYWARE DOWNLOADS<b/>
1/ Spybot search and destroy click here

2/ Superantispyware click here

3/ Ad-AWARE SE PERSONAL click here

4/ SPYWAREBLASTER click here

5/ WINDOWS DEFENDER click here

<font color="red">Attention You can have All these Antispyware But Only Run One At ATime</font>

<u>Just to tell you a little about windows defender.</u>

Windows Defender is able to detect and remove more threats posed by spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Real Time Protection has also been enhanced to better monitor key points in the operating system for changes.

<u>Also a little information on Spywareblaster.</u>

Rather than remove spyware once it has been installed on your PC, this software prevents it being installed in the first place.

Hope this has been of some help to you .

mfletch.

Shortstop 15:27 15 Oct 07

All windows firewall stops is inbound traffic. There are a lot of people [myself included] who have never used a firewall and see no reason to. For those who want this, you could use Zone Alarm [click here] or Kerio [click here].

Would also suggest CCleaner [click here] and A-Squared [click here]. All are free and will help clean the system of any nasties. CCleaner also cleans the registry & removes junk from the system.

HTH

Paul

mfletch 15:27 15 Oct 07

Ps/ take no notice of the > </ etc I did it for another forum which supports colour's etc

mfletch

trenchn 15:28 15 Oct 07

That's brilliant thank you. I have also read "Skidzy's" post, which seems to cover absolutely everything, perhaps I should have looked a bit harder before posting!
Cheers
Nick

Shortstop 15:30 15 Oct 07

One other thing, you can only have the ONE anti-virus [and I believe it is best to have one firewall] but you may have as many of the other programs listed by myself & mfletch as you choose.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:13 15 Oct 07

AVG free+Spyware Terminator+any old firewall if you feel that you need one (I haven't used one for 4 years)+common sense is all you will ever need. Use Ccleaner click here to clear out all your rubbish and you will never be infected.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:14 15 Oct 07

ps all the above are free for home use.

G

bluto1 20:19 15 Oct 07

HHave a go here co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=280906&forumid=1

skidzy 21:07 15 Oct 07
  Devil Fish 00:08 16 Oct 07

im going to agree with send an email to GANDALF <|:-)> GANDALF <|:-)>

Avg spyware terminator and any old firewall in my case hardware firewall have tried many combinations in the past but this one seems ok

AVG click here

Spyware terminater click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…