pc protection

breville 16:01 06 Feb 05

i have just upgraded to broadband and are abit worried bout my pc security. i am running win98se and alresdy use zone alarm, spybot and ad aware se. are these sufficient or are there any better or extra precautions i should take....

AndySD 16:09 06 Feb 05

Are you running an antivirus?

freaky 16:32 06 Feb 05

Your present set up gives you a Firewall via Zone Alarm. Spybot will not stop, but will detect spyware on your PC only if you run the program.

You biggest danger is Virus infections from email and sites you visit. You have NO protection at all for this, and are in serious danger of getting infected.

As you have upgraded to Broadband, then your PC is connected to the internet all the time the PC is on. Because of this you are far more vulnerable to problems than with a Dial-Up connection.

You will also find that after a while you will receive a lot of Spam Mail because you are on Broadband. This Spam Mail is not only a nuisance, but a lot contain viruses!

It is urgent therefore that you immediately get AntiVirus protection.

You can download AVG which is free.

Personally I would go for something like Norton Internet Security which costs about £24 from PCWorld. This would protect you from all the things I have mentioned above.

If you did do this, then you would need to uninstall Zone Alarm because it would cause conflicts with the Norton Firewall.

Starfox 16:46 06 Feb 05

As freaky says you need some anti-virus, either follow his advice or download one of these click here

click here

pj123 16:47 06 Feb 05

All you would need to add to what you already have is AVG free from click here and Spywareblaster from (I don't know the link) but someone else will post it for you.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:50 06 Feb 05

Spywareblaster click here

pj123 17:16 06 Feb 05

JaßîsFaß ˜, thanks mate. Copied for future reference.

breville 17:49 06 Feb 05

thanx for the info...... ps sorry, forgot to add in my initial quest that i also run avg.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…