PC problem

Just had a phone call with the gf and apparently her PC has blown up. I think she is probably exaggerating a little as women do but anyway. She said she saw sparks at the back of the base unit at the top. So I take this to mean the PSU has failed? The PC now wont switch on.

The PC was very dusty and i was planning on cleaning it at some point. I wonder if this could be the cause of it? Also the PC has failed to switch on a couple of times and I have fixed it by blowing into the power cable and the psu socket.

Anyway I think it's all still under warranty with PC World, it's a Packard Bell. So should we be expecting them to replace the PSU? Does that sound like the problem?

tornado3 20:11 09 Jan 05

she dont live in north london?

bremner 20:11 09 Jan 05

Certainly sounds like it.

You should give it a run with PCW - i am sure they will change it under the warranty.

Gongoozler 20:20 09 Jan 05

Dust shouldn't cause a PSU to blow up. Any decent power supply will be protected against overheating. Power supplies can blow up quite dramatically. There are several devices there working at quite high voltages, so failures can be quite dramatic. In most cases no other components are damaged so a repair isn't too costly. PC world should do this for free and quite quickly. The only thing you might have done to cause a failure is if you knocked a voltage selector switch from 230V to 115V.

cheers ears

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…