PC powers on then stops

terendak_uk 19:05 08 Jun 05

This only happens intermittently: it usually fires up OK after I turn off the mains power and then try again, altho, for the first time just now, it failed to fire up altogether at the first attempt ie only very brief "lights on". The intermmitent sequence will be; power and HDD LEDs come on, a slight pause, then the HHD LED goes out and the mains LED blinks ( green light - HDD LED is red). Checked all connections, leads etc. The Mobo and HDD are about 3yrs old. It has a year old 500W PSU. The PSU has two large fans: I have disabled one because of the noise ( just the usual , but it still annoys me). After a year operating well, I can't "see" that's it's an overheating issue( no BIOS bleeps); I often run scanner and several progs such as Photoshop, Powerpoint, mail , MP3 music from HDD with no probs at all.
Would be most grateful for advice: is this a well - known symptom of anything?

961 19:20 08 Jun 05

PSU must be suspect, but could it also be a failing surge protector, or plug fuse, or indeed loose or worn pins on mains plug into wall socket, or worn wall socket

terendak_uk 19:41 08 Jun 05

Can't be mains or power-surge protector ( I use one)as monitor, deck, scanner, speakers, laptop and recharger for camera have had no similar probs.......? Can change PSU but am looking for any answers that this is symptomatic of a specific cause....if not, fine. I'lll go thro the SOP lol. Cheers!

terendak_uk 20:17 09 Jun 05

Iv'e got a SCSI primary HDD and this time the PC stalled at trying to find the HDD during the the BIOS start -up screen. I got "Time-out failure during SCSI Inquiry command"....then "rescanning for SCSI devices".Then a loop as it failed to find again. I switched off-on several times...no go. Then opened up again, detached and re-attached the SCSI cable from both the controller card and the SCSi HDD and...it worked....hence this message! HHD, controller card or Mobo problem? Or, as suggested earlier, PSU? be grateful for any advice.

DieSse 21:25 09 Jun 05

On the face of it, it looks like you may have fixed it - a bad cable connection - not so unusual.

I suggest you monitor it for a day or so, and if all's OK regard it as fixed, and close the thread.

terendak_uk 18:43 10 Jun 05

Happened again, unfortunately.The fact that, after turning on mains, then PC...the HHD whirs, then stops and the green power light just blinks, instead of a constant light.After the third attempt , this time, the PC powered up OK. I was hoping that this is symptomatic of a specific -readily identifiable fault. If not, sure, I can swap the PSU etc. Just hoping for a quick diagnosis.
thanks for input.

961 19:18 10 Jun 05

Worth trying PSU change

terendak_uk 20:29 10 Jun 05

Sob....PSU only a year old and one of Maplins 500W "Gold" beggars

961 20:38 10 Jun 05

e-mail them with your problem, even if just over a year old

they usually are quite customer friendly

terendak_uk 21:17 10 Jun 05

Will check if it's the PSU, first!I only emailed ( apologies for a split-infinitive) on the off-chance that my prob was a std one, with an easy diagnosis!Appreciate your input.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 10 Jun 05

The most common cause of this sort of problem is the motherboard shorting to the frame. Check that nothing is touching the rear of the motherboard. Many people suggest that you remove the motherboard from the case, rest it on a nonconductive surface and try booting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…