PC powering down

Meirion 16:13 29 Oct 06

My PC has started to power down with no warning. Will not power back on for some minutes. Processor fan is working OK. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Meirion

Totally-braindead 16:15 29 Oct 06

First thought is overheating especially as it won't restart right away. This could be a sign that the system needs to cool down before restarting.
Suggest you initially check all the fans are working in case one has failed and post back.

Diodorus Siculus 16:15 29 Oct 06

Certainly sounds like overheating... have a look in the BIOS for the temperature it is running at.

Meirion 17:00 29 Oct 06

It's running at 42 degrees. When itry to power back up the cpu fan starts but not the main fan, it then hangs there for a while.. Eventually main fan runs and PC powers up.

Totally-braindead 17:05 29 Oct 06

I would clean out the main fan and retry it. It might be needing replaced. Temperature sounds ok but what does it reach once its been on for a while?

Meirion 17:10 29 Oct 06

Fairly constant 42/43

Totally-braindead 17:15 29 Oct 06

It doesn't appear to be overheating then.

I'm wondering as you mentioned about the fan hanging, if this could drag enough power from the power supply unit to trip the PC off. I'm not sure if it could cause enough of a drag to do this. Perhaps someone else could comment.
Regardless of this, for the price of a fan I would just replace it as they are not expensive.

Meirion 18:26 29 Oct 06

Thanks for your help, will replace fan.

Meirion

woodchip 18:36 29 Oct 06

Also check Graphics fan if there is one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…