pc powering off

chippy+ 21:16 23 Oct 07

hi my brother in law has an old pc which has bother powering up but when it does it gets as far as the windows with the bar underneath then powers off the fan on the motherboard is spinning and the external fan is working could it be the power pack thanks Chippy

Technotiger 21:39 23 Oct 07

It could well be the PSU, but a bit more info about the full specs would help us to help you.

chippy+ 22:07 23 Oct 07

Hi Technotige the only info i can give you is pc is made by i-friend (safeway) 1300 processor 256 memory after i sent in the queery i tried just pluging in the power cable (took out all other cables) there was no power took out the cable replaced and it powered up lasted about a minute
thanks again Chippy
ps. previous to this happening the pc worked fine

Technotiger 22:14 23 Oct 07

OK, I would try another PSU, preferably with a bit more power than the old one - but make sure the physical dimensions are the same so that the new one fits. Being old it may have only a 128w PSU, get at least a 400w.

Technotiger 22:16 23 Oct 07

If you do go for a new PSU, take the old one with you so that there can be no mistake that you get the correct type.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 23 Oct 07

gets as far as the windows with the bar underneath then powers off

Usually a driver problem, can you boot to safe mode and reinstall the drivers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…