Pc Power supply

grw 19:45 09 Jan 07

I am looking at replacing/upgrading my power supply in my desktop pc. Are the range of connections to hardware standard or do you sometimes need to buy adapters. PC world have Jeantech, is this a good make?
Any help appreciated.

archir123 19:53 09 Jan 07

it depends what you want it for tbh mate , if yuor a gamer for example with med/high end gear then no , i wouldnt touch jeantech with a very long stick ;) (mind you i wouldnt pay pc worlds prices for anything)

If however your just an average joe type user jeantech will be ok but they are overpriced so dont goto pc world have a look on the interweb :)

go here to work out what kind of wattage your looking for first click here

Emmitt 19:55 09 Jan 07

I bought a Jeantech 400W ATX power supply and installed with no problem. The IT manager at my work passed the comment that he liked it because of the cables and variety of connections which came with it.
I would reccomend it. It cost me £39.99. Quiet running.

this one is near silent click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 09 Jan 07

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Totally-braindead 22:13 09 Jan 07

Personally I would recommend not skimping on a power supply and buying a branded one.
Good makes include Tagan, Thermaltake, Zalman, Hiper, Antec, Seasonic.
Also it is easier to fit a modular power supply. These are the same as a standard power supply but you can physically remove any cables you don't need making it easier to get into your PC as theres no extra cables getting in the way. Get a Minimum 450 watt or higher if you can find one at a reasonable price.

skidzy 22:18 09 Jan 07

I recently purchased and fitted this psu from Ebuyer,and can say im very happy with it.click here

Mr Beeline 22:43 09 Jan 07

I would agree with Totally-braindead about modular PSU's being the way to go. I've fitted a number of Tagan modular PSU's recently and been pretty impressed.

grw 12:36 13 Jan 07

Many thanks for your help.Fruit Bat /\0/\, the Power supply calculator was good and it confirmed my need for a upgraded PSU.

ScottishAdam 23:49 18 Jan 07

I bought a Top of the range PC (custom made) athlon 4600 and a top of the range graphics card. However I believe I have chosen the wrong power supply unit (350watts).

I succesfully installed Windows XP and the machine was working perfectly, however
later on, whilst running a very demanding game, (FEAR)on high settings,my PC suddenly cut off. I could smell burning coming from the back of it. I am certain the power supply unit has blown, (as it could not handle the demanding performance of my PC). It is only a 350watt PSU.
I then plugged in my other power plug (to check if it was just a wire fault), however as soon as I pressed the power button it burnt the fuse out on it?

When this happens, is it only the power supply unit that is burnt out? or will there be further damage to my computer???

Would it be O.K. to just change the power supply unit with a more suitable one for my system??

Please help

Thanks alot

Adam

terryf 23:57 18 Jan 07

I was looking for power and quietness and was recommended and bought a 'Trust Pro PSU Low Noise Big Fan' 520W power supply it has a 120mm fan and together with an Arctic freezer processor cooler don't hear either except during boot before the mobo takes control or during periods of very high processor activity but this doesn't go on for a noticeable time, I'm doing an AVG scan now at 50% CPU usage but can't hear fansbut can't

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…