PC power supply

.HTML 18:18 10 Jun 04

I have been wondering for some time now, why do desktop PC have no emergency power supply. The other night my fuse blew out, i was only browsing the net, and luckerly not doing any important presentation. So, would it not be sensible to put a small Li-ithiom battery with enough juice for 10 mins, enough to save your work and log off!

Rayuk 18:22 10 Jun 04

Down to cost,you can buy a ups power supply for this evantuality.

Dorsai 18:40 10 Jun 04

Yeh, we had one at work, for the server. Bout the size of a big PC. Weighed a Ton. full of lead/acid-gel batteries, like the back-up power ones (Grey) for fire/burgular alarms.

Also need to get special software so that when the power fails it saves your work for you, as even quite big/expensive UPS's may only last few minutes. Best bet is to save you work regularly as you go.

It's the monitor (so i have been told) that takes all the juice to run, so the ups only runs the system box, with no screen. Hence the need for the special software to save it all for you, as you can't see a thing- lights are out an monitor off.......

PSF 19:16 10 Jun 04

click here for some examples of back-up power supplies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…