PC Power Supply 12V2 Failure

peterw9966 28 Feb 13

I am running a self assembled PC and have had 2 power supply failures. When connected to a power supply tester it shows that there is a fault with the 12V2 supply. What would cause this part of the supply to fail. I use the PC for video work. I am using a Gainward GTX490S graphics card and a 1000W power supply. I would be grateful for any help before fitting a new supply.

onthelimit1 28 Feb 13

The only thing I can think of is if there is a random short-circuit on the 12V rail somewhere. Difficult to fault analyse though. As replacement PSU will have their own harness to the mobo/component plugs, it has to be downstream of there, so could be HDD, optical drive, mobo. I would start by powering up without the first two and see what happens.

Chronos the 2nd 28 Feb 13

Has both PSU failed on the 12V rail? Chances of that happening if that is the case are tiny. What make of PSU. 1000W is a lot of wattage. Do the rest of your components justify it?

peterw9966 28 Feb 13

My PSU is an ICUTE AP-1000AS. I originally had a 800W PSU but that kept shutting down during video rendering, but it would restart after a rest. Therefore the larger PSU. This does not shut down during rendering but just fails completely.

Chronos the 2nd 28 Feb 13

Sorry but that is a cheapo PSU and not something I would use ever. But what of the rest of your components as 1000W a lot of wattage?

CPU, HDD's mobo, and anything else you have.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: When is the OnePlus 2 coming out? July…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message