PC Power Supply 12V2 Failure

peterw9966 12:09 PM 28 Feb 13

I am running a self assembled PC and have had 2 power supply failures. When connected to a power supply tester it shows that there is a fault with the 12V2 supply. What would cause this part of the supply to fail. I use the PC for video work. I am using a Gainward GTX490S graphics card and a 1000W power supply. I would be grateful for any help before fitting a new supply.

onthelimit1 12:57 PM 28 Feb 13

The only thing I can think of is if there is a random short-circuit on the 12V rail somewhere. Difficult to fault analyse though. As replacement PSU will have their own harness to the mobo/component plugs, it has to be downstream of there, so could be HDD, optical drive, mobo. I would start by powering up without the first two and see what happens.

Chronos the 2nd 13:20 PM 28 Feb 13

Has both PSU failed on the 12V rail? Chances of that happening if that is the case are tiny. What make of PSU. 1000W is a lot of wattage. Do the rest of your components justify it?

peterw9966 14:00 PM 28 Feb 13

My PSU is an ICUTE AP-1000AS. I originally had a 800W PSU but that kept shutting down during video rendering, but it would restart after a rest. Therefore the larger PSU. This does not shut down during rendering but just fails completely.

Chronos the 2nd 16:08 PM 28 Feb 13

Sorry but that is a cheapo PSU and not something I would use ever. But what of the rest of your components as 1000W a lot of wattage?

CPU, HDD's mobo, and anything else you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X