PC power shut off during start up

rockinrodders 09:57 18 Aug 06

Hi, Id be grateful if anybody could assist me.

I have a Pentium 4 3.4GHZ on a Gigabyte socket 775 Motherboard, PSU is 400Watt and video card is X800 and I have 2 extra case fans. The fans always blow quite noisily during some games but recently I began to experience problems during gaming and when I got to a paticularly intensive part of the game (X3 reunion)the pc would shut off - no blue screen or restart just complete shut down. The PC could always be restarted again but would shut off whenever there was a lot of stuff going on.

I thought it was an overheating problem and removed/cleaned the fans and heatsink and applied a new layer of thermal grease on the heatsink.

Now the PC shuts down almost as soon as I power it on. It turns itself off within a few seconds, sometimes on the bios screens or sometimes it will even get to the windows loading screen but will shut off before getting any further.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem may be? fans/cooling? PSU weak or broken?

Any help much appreciated

Steve- 10:15 18 Aug 06

I had a similar problem with my daughters PC it turned out to be a dying PSU, overheating would normally result in the system slowing down dramaically first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now