PC ports not working? Please help!

Finnish guy 14:24 23 Jun 14
Answered

Hi! First im going to tell you that im not a computer expert but i can understand normal things like DVI ports and so on, but not that much "inside the computer", but now straight to the point. Im struggling around here with my computer ports maybe not working? So i own a Acer Predator G3610 and it has a DVI port and a couple HDMI ports, but the port im confused about is the D-SUB port or VGA as i quess it is the same thing. So yeah my computer has this 1 D-SUB port and it had a plastic cover on that said "dont remove" but i removed it because my HDMI cable broke and i had to use that D-SUB (VGA) cable instead. When i plugged the cable into the computer and monitor, the screen just didnt get a signal and went to power saving mode. I tried to use a different monitor and still nothing, but with a different computer, it worded. So i now know that the problem is probably in my computer. Please help me fix this issue and i post pictures and more info gladly if needed, thanks! Sorru for the bad English :/

Secret-Squirrel 16:21 23 Jun 14
Answer

" ...my computer has this 1 D-SUB port and it had a plastic cover on that said "dont remove"......................When i plugged the cable into the computer and monitor, the screen just didnt get a signal"

That sounds completely normal.

When your PC manufacturer installed the separate graphics card, this disables the onboard graphics built-in to the motherboard so they put a plastic cover over the port to try and prevent you from using it.

Secret-Squirrel 17:00 23 Jun 14

".........but I have not come across such a cover."

I've come across it many times on big-brand PCs that have had a separate card installed.

Secret-Squirrel 17:16 23 Jun 14

Finnish guy, I forgot to mention earlier that your PC may have come with a DVI-VGA adapter - it looks like this. Note that these adapters only work with DVI-I ports. If you don't have one then they only cost a few Euros although you'll probably find it cheaper and better to get a new HDMI cable.

Finnish guy 18:03 23 Jun 14

Thanks guys for the amazingly fast responses and tips! I would probably think that its because of what you said Secret-Squirrell. So thanks for that so i wont be suffering with plugging and re-plugging cables forever without knowing whats the problem :D If you still want my computer specs and have a different solution MechKB 2 just tell me and i link them! I Big thanks!!!

Finnish guy 18:47 23 Jun 14

Here

1. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  2. Intel Core i5 processor 2320
  3. NVIDIA GeForce GT545 up to 4095MB
  4. 8GB DDR3 memory
  5. 1TB Hard Drive
  6. DVD-Super Multi Drive
  7. Integrated LAN 10/100/1000
  8. Multi-in-1 Media Card Reader I got these from the side of my computer so correct me if im wrong, sorry!
  Finnish guy 23:15 23 Jun 14

Ok, big thanks! I will just go to a store at morning and buy a new HDMI cable. Thank you so much for fast help! Definetly going to come back here next time i need help :P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced