PC Pit Stop advice.

curlylad 12:29 22 Apr 04

Just went onto the PC Pit Stop site and after it ran checks on my PC it advised me to adjust I.E. browser cache size.My cache size at the moment is 1192 megabytes and it told me to adjust to between 5 and 80 megabytes .I have never had anything to do or don't know anything about the cache sizes or recomendations so is this good advice from the PC Pit Stop site ?
I have never changed the cache size on my PC so I am to assume it came to me with 1192 megabytes as the factory setting .If I am to believe what the PC Pit Stop site says then why would the factory set the cache size so high especially as I am being told that it is affecting my performance.
Any omments or advice , thanks in advance.

plankton 13:06 22 Apr 04

I think there's also a note to say that if you do change it with a dial-up modem it could cause problems. I didn't change mine.

GaT7 14:58 22 Apr 04

Yes, would be better to increase your Internet cache size. If you don't like it just change it back. (Worked for me no problems, on dial-up.)

"Reduce the time you spend online by accelerating Internet Explorer 6...

The size of your browser cache affects your browsing speed. If you have a dial-up connection, you gain faster performance if most of your pages load from cache, in which case a larger folder is advisable.

If you have a broadband connection, a huge collection of offline files can slow your browsing down, as Internet Explorer searches the cache for an offline version of the file. Restrict your cache size to around 80Mb for faster browsing." Source: click here

GaT7 15:02 22 Apr 04

Forgot to say have set my cache at 200Mb (40Gb hard disk). If you have limited disk space then you may want to set a smaller cache.

curlylad 06:35 23 Apr 04

Thanks , you have just confirmed what advice I already had been informed of.I am on broadband and have a 160Gb hard disk so I will reduce the 1192Mb down somewhat , but to what ?
Can you give me an estimate , should I just perhaps halve it and see how that goes?

bugzee 06:52 23 Apr 04

i also have broadband and i decreased the cache to 80mg and it did improve the performance somewhat on a 40gb hardrive

dth 11:04 23 Apr 04

If you have a BB connection - you don't really need a big IE temp folder (it is only worthwhile for us 'poor' dial-up uders. I would reduce it to say 10mb.

poogles_uk 11:38 23 Apr 04

Mine is now 75mb after being told by pc pit stop

tony1160 12:07 23 Apr 04

i have BB and have always had mine set to 15meg,and have no problems what so ever with web pages .320gig h/drvs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…