Pc for photography

karen1961 19:49 19 Nov 10

hi,i have always got a pre-built pc,and have recently got into photography,and the computer i have now is noware near as fast as i'd like,really slows right down when i have photoshop open,so i really don't know enough about computer componants to know what i really need,all i really know is i need more ram,and a better processer,can some one have a look at the specs and advise me if this is fast enough for my needs please?i will have cs5 and lightroom on,thank you karen

own design-
Computer Case Tornado Gaming Case - Black
CPU Intel Core i7 860 (4 x 2.80GHz) 8MB
CPU Heatsink Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise
Memory Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 210 - 512 MB - (Palit)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L (Intel P55)
Sound Card Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound
Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
USB Ports 4 x USB 2.0 Ports
Firewire Ports 1 Port Firewire IEEE 1394 (Built In)
Power Supply 450W PSU
Case Wiring Professional Standard
Hard Drive #1 500 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 16MB
Optical Drive #1 Samsung (S222A) DVD +/-RW 22x Dual Layer - Black (IDE)
Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
Backup Software Windows Backup

john bunyan 20:52 19 Nov 10

I have Photoshop CS5, and it works fine on a 4 year old PC with a lower spec than yours. My comments would be: Graphics card OK but maybe a bit more memory on it.. I would also suggest a second HD either built in or in a removable caddy, and a USB Hd. The second disc could be used in periods of intense activity as a second scratch disc, although with the RAM you will have it may not be needed, but in any event backing up your photos and music is vital. Also do look at other threads on monitors for photography.
Also wait for comments from hssutton!!

karen1961 20:58 19 Nov 10

hi John,thank you for your reply,i wasn't sure if to go for the intel i5 or i7,i have an external harddrive and i back up reg,i will lookk out for his comments!lol thank you karen

john bunyan 10:38 20 Nov 10

Also see here:

click here

karen1961 19:35 21 Nov 10

thank you for you replys,i already have a great monitor coming this week,thank you karen

Terry Brown 09:51 22 Nov 10

Do you have other programs running in the background? , as this can seriously slow down your computer.

To check download a program called starter.exe, this will tell you all progams that are running on your system, with the option to stop (or stsrt) as required.

You could also try from RUN msconfig and go the Startup option.

If you are short on Harddrive space, or it needs defragging this can also cause a problem.
Terry

donki 17:00 22 Nov 10

That will be MORE than enough and I do mean MORE to run both LR3 and CS5 at the same time I do so on less.

donki 17:01 22 Nov 10

Oh one thing, your PSU is to low IMO you should be looking at 700W up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5