PC to PC data transfer using USB cable..a question

Clueless101 19:07 18 Jun 03

I have just ordered a new PC and intend using a USB data transfer cable to get files from my current PC. My question is, Will I only be able to transfer files such as picture & text documents, or could I transfer software files also? I have purchased a copy of Norton ghost as I was originally just going to clone my old hard drive onto the new one, but if I do this, will I lose the windows XP OS on my new PC to the windows ME on my old one?
I would appreciate any help =)

-pops- 19:09 18 Jun 03

Wait until you get your XP machine and look up the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard in Help and Support. You can transfer exactly the files you wish without any outlay of money.

Brian

Clueless101 19:16 18 Jun 03

Thanx Pops.
Will I need to reinstall my software though, or can I transfer the whole lot over with the wizard?

-pops- 19:20 18 Jun 03

Some software will not be suitable for XP. You can check this out in the Help & Support as well.

You will probably be best re-installing even if it is suitable to make sure you have a good, clean versions. you can then transfer your tweaks and things later.

I've done this several times on different machines and it works very well nomally. It takes a little time to do but saves a lot of work in the long run.

Brian

Clueless101 19:26 18 Jun 03

ok, thanx again =)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…