PC Package deals

Elrond 18:50 02 Aug 04

Hey there, my girlfriends brother and his wife are looking to get their first PC. As both have no computer knowledge they have asked me what they should be looking for and I have suggested that for their usage, which would be mostly word processing and internet surfing, they dont need anything really high spec and should be able to pick some sort of package up for around £500 - £600 maybe with some software bundled in or a printer or something like that. I have had a scout round on the net and haven't exactly seen anything that lives up to my suggestion. So was just wondering if any of you guys may know of any good deals in the said price range which may be what i'm looking for. Thanks for all your time and help.
Elrond

jonnytub 18:59 02 Aug 04

these don't do mail order but will give you an idea of cost to power. click here

jonnytub 19:00 02 Aug 04

please note that for a 17" tft display it's only £165 extra. that's a bargain

jonnytub 19:01 02 Aug 04

and with the spare change a dvd writer and printer, sorry i shall let others have their input, lol. got carried away

Elrond 21:01 02 Aug 04

Still trying to keep it as cheap as poss but anything between £600 - £800 is the new target. Cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:43 02 Aug 04

Emachine, Packard Bell or Compaq from PCWorld and buy an Epson R200 printer for about £80. Should come with Word. AV etc. can be downloaded free of charge.

G

Elrond 16:14 03 Aug 04

Further to this, I have seen a fair few packages which have celeron processors. Either stated as 2.7/2.8Ghz or Celeron-D. Having never used a celeron before I have no idea as to the performance of them. Would a 2.7Ghz Celeron be a good worker? Or should I advise them to hold out for AMD or P4? Remember this is an internet/office/possibly some games(but nothing major)/educational usage.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:29 03 Aug 04

For the uses that you require the Celeron is more than capable. As regards holding out for AMD/P4 I used to use a 350Mhz computer for office (Office XP pro)applications and photo-editng (Photochop7). My present computer has 1Gb RAM and a 3200 chip. There is not a lot of difference in opening and using the applications. Assuming that you are not a mad keen gamer that needs tenths of a second you will be more than OK.

G

Elrond 16:32 03 Aug 04

Cheers Gandalf. I will have no worries in advising a Celeron if it works out as a good deal. We shall be visiting the local PCWorld tomorrow to have a look what's on offer.

TomJerry 16:35 03 Aug 04

really good value for money and enough for most users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…