PC or H/D not responding!

spuds 12:35 08 Mar 07

Trying to get my 2nd computer to function, but not sure whether the problem is with the hard-drive or perhaps something else, and any help would be appreciated.

Unable to activate the computer as normal. On start-up the usual display appears before trying to going into XP Home screen mode. Error message then appears requesting: 'Boot from CD'. Then 'Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter'. After pressing Enter (disk present), the system crashes and a return to the above instructions.So will not boot from disk.

On this 'faulty' computer, there are two drives, one master and one slave, which the initial start-up screen recognises.These have both worked in the past, without problems. I have a brand new hard-drive available for a complete re-install, but before taking this route, I should like to find what the problem could be, with the previous set-up.Is it the master hard-drive, and perhaps bad sectors, or should I try and look for something else!.

Blitzer 12:41 08 Mar 07

If you have a floppy drive make sure there is not a disc in it. Could also make sure there are no discs in the DVD/CD drives - just in case it's trying to boot from a non-bootable disc. Failing that take the case off anfd make sure the cables from the HD to motherboard and PSU are fitted securely. HTH.

spuds 18:45 09 Mar 07

Thanks Blitzer.

Already checked all the things you have suggested.

I used a technician's 'ultimate diagnostic' disk yesterday evening, and it would appear as though the hard-drive freezes part way through the checking. So it would seem as though a hard-drive replacement is required.

I will tick as resolved, and fit the new hard-drive.

woodchip 19:01 09 Mar 07

It could just be a Bad Driver. But I think the Master Boot Record is corrupt. i.e MBR

woodchip 19:07 09 Mar 07

You can fix the MBR by starting computer with the XP disc and at a Command Prompt type FIX /MBR

spuds 21:48 09 Mar 07

woodchip, that's one of the problems, the computer will not boot from the XP disk.

woodchip 20:33 10 Mar 07

Have a look in the BIOS the first boot device should be CD or DVD, then Hard drive as second

Terry Brown 20:54 10 Mar 07

Download the XP boot disk from Microsoft click here , use this to boot the system and then use FIX /MBR as suggested by woodchip.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…