PC not "talking" with miniDV camcorder (Firewire)

chchch7789 22:29 08 Aug 09

Hi
I'm having diffs getting my PC (Vista) to talk to/recognise my MiniDV camcorder (JVC GR-D728EK). Connected via Firewire into a StarTech IEEE-1394A PCI port (which I installed today - I've confirmed that the drivers are running). Fired up Windows Movie Maker (not everyone's cup of tea, I know) and turned the camcorder on Playback mode but PC didn't seem to detect the camcorder. Also tried ULeadVideostudio10 (still nothing). Also tried turing the camcorder on/off - zilch. Is there a reliable/logical way of checking what's the problem?
I like the reassuring tone and icon when the PC detects a new USB device connected - that is sadly lacking in this case as it's a Firewire connection....should this be the case?
Phew!
Ta

woodchip 23:42 08 Aug 09

Did you look for the Camcorder in the Program Settings and choose to use it? I have a JVC dv mini tape no problems, I have used movimaker but main one for me is Pinnacle Studio. Where I can start and stop the Camcorder using the above program. But I still had to select it as my Default Video Capture Device

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant