PC not switching off

CasperB 20:52 18 Jun 06

Hi.

I have a problem that my pc is not switching off. Shutdown in windows only restarts the pc. I have read other threads but with no luck. The problem even persists when pressing the power button for 5 seconds. This switches the pc off, but as soon as I release the power button, it switches back on. I have tried every possible BIOS setting. Please help.

SANTOS7 21:03 18 Jun 06

click here
Assume its XP, process of elimination i'm afraid..

SANTOS7 21:04 18 Jun 06

click here
this may help as well..

CasperB 21:20 18 Jun 06

not working. I have already tried all XP solutions. Even if I disconnect my HDD, the pc will not switch off if I press the power button, it only "resets". I have even tried swopping the power and reset switches with no luck. The 5 second power problem tells me it is something different.

skidzy 21:33 18 Jun 06

Casper have you tried a repair ? I guess you may have tried this but thought i should mention it.If not...you will need your windows disc.

Im pretty sure this is a registry value issue.I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.

Hope this helps.

skidzy 21:34 18 Jun 06

click here ...sorry forgot the link.

SANTOS7 21:38 18 Jun 06

might be something to do with auto updates.

# In the Start Menu go to Run type “gpedit.msc” and press Enter
# Now a Group Policy editor will open. In this window navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Template -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
# Double click on No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations
# In the settings window Choose Enabled and click OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…