PC Not Responding

Rogmur 23:12 29 Jan 09

Hi to all Forum Members

Does anyone know what causes the dreaded "Not Responding" error message?

I seem to receive this annoying message with several programs in Windows XP.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Rogmur

birdface 23:37 29 Jan 09

Try Command Prompt.Type in ipconfig /flushdns small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok.It should tell you DNS Cache has been flushed.Reboot computer and see if it runs any better.Not with Virginmedia are you.

birdface 23:38 29 Jan 09

Try Command Prompt.Type in ipconfig /flushdns small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok.It should tell you DNS Cache has been flushed.Reboot computer and see if it runs any better.Not with Virginmedia are you.

lotvic 23:50 29 Jan 09

does that mean you have to do it twice?

(sorry, couldn't resist :o))

birdface 11:50 30 Jan 09

No it probably means that I have the same problem occasionally when answering posts.I put it down to My ISP Virgin.Might work better doing it twice.Doing it once does not make much difference on my set up.My excuse was that it was way past my bedtime and was I overtired doing nothing all day.Its a hard life.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:50 30 Jan 09

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced