PC not responding for 10 mins

gcook 18:46 21 Mar 08

I got a new Dell PC XPS 420 2 months ago. However Ive had 1 problem that wont go away.

About 8-10 times since I got it the computer stops responding and the hard drive makes a small chirping noise every half a second or so for around 10 minutes and the PC wont respond or to be more accurate takes minutes to respond. The circle comes up (Vista or hourglass as its better known) as if its busy.

The chirping is like a clock as its so regular. I have spoken to Dell Support who ran through the full hard drive diagnostic which took around 3-4 hours but found nothing. Could this still be a bad hard drive or sector do you think?

If you need any more details then just ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

MAJ 18:52 21 Mar 08

Sounds like a bad hard drive, but try running CHKDSK /F click here

woodchip 19:18 21 Mar 08

A Program is keeping the Computer busy. Like may be Anti-Virus checker or disc tidy

MAJ 20:17 21 Mar 08

A program keeping super-OS, super-fast Vista busy, woodchip? Surely not........

setecio 21:03 21 Mar 08

Is there any way you can try another keyboard? Its unlikely but I'm thinking of a 'key stuck' effect.

It does sound more likely to be the hard drive.

woodchip 21:07 21 Mar 08

AV will if it locks the disc

woodchip 21:08 21 Mar 08

Right click task bar then Task Manager to see what is using system

lotvic 21:16 21 Mar 08

Use Task Manager to monitor what's going on click here
it will soon show what program is hogging CPU

(Of course you would have to have Task Manager open/running monitoring performance before the problem starts)

gcook 21:43 21 Mar 08

Well, just ran that checkdisk prog and it came back good.

The PC came with McAfee and the first time it happened it was still installed. Ive since deleted it and put on AVG and the same is happening.

It definanately seems like the hard drive is sticking though. As CHKDSK has come up good does that discount the hard drive?

Thanks for all the advice. Never thought of the keyboard but I can try.

MAJ 21:47 21 Mar 08

CHKDSK /F might have 'fixed' the faulty sector. Check to see if you still have the original problem now.

gcook 21:59 21 Mar 08

Hopefully MAJ, however I did notice that it said "0KB in bad sectors" in DOS just before windows booted back up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…