PC NOT RECOGNISING NEW DVD WRITER

knobbyall 11:12 04 Oct 06

I HAVE JUST UNINSTALLED MY DVD PLAYER ON MY DESKTOP MACHINE AND ATTEMPTED TO INSTALL A DVD WRITER, USED ALL THE SAME CABLES, THE POWER LIGHT IS ON THE TRAY OPENS BUT MY SYSTEM (XP HOME) WILL NOT RECOGNISE IT, I HAVE REBOOTED AND HOPED PNP WOULD PICK IT UP BUT TO NO AVAIL, ANY IDEAS ?

dazwm 11:15 04 Oct 06

Have you checked the jumpers on the back of the DVDRW? (Also lower the capitals its seen as shouting).

Miros 11:16 04 Oct 06

Diemmess 11:33 04 Oct 06

Worth checking the drivers are the correct ones.
Have a look in Device Manager for a yellow triangle. If there is one there, then delete/disable the device and reboot.

Harpur 11:36 04 Oct 06

it means you are SHOUTING!!

Harpur 11:38 04 Oct 06

if it is the only drive then make sure the jumpers on the back of the drive are set for master. if it is an additional one then set them to slave. there is usually a basic diagram on the drive casing showing the correct positions for each

knobbyall 11:44 04 Oct 06

I'm a bit new to this forum lark, apologies for shouting, thanks to all that suggested the jumpers as this was the problem and is now solved. Thanks

Diemmess 12:11 04 Oct 06

Neatly rounded off. For someone a "bit new" you've done well.
Block capitals are more difficult to read anyway. :>)

Harpur 13:28 04 Oct 06

you need to tick it resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…