PC not reading DVD or CDRW drives

nkosi 15:46 14 Sep 03

I have Windows XP. I installed Norton system Works a few days ago with no problems, but since then I have not been able to read either my DVD or CDRW drives. They show up in Windows and Device Manager reports no problems. There is power because they spin and the indicator lights show when I insert a disk. The mouse indicator flashes a CD while it's being read, then - nothing. If I try and open the DVD drive I get the message 'E: is not accessible. Incorrect function.'. If I open the CDRW drive I get an empty window. I have re-seated the connections to the drives and the motherboard. I haven't made any hardware changes. The computer is a 2 year old Evesham. I suspect a software problem but don't know where to look. Any ideas, please?

Dazwm 15:59 14 Sep 03

Try uninstalling system works and see if it works then reloading system works.

choffe 16:04 14 Sep 03

not to wish ill luck or anything, but i found when i tried to uninstall norton, it wouldn't allow me to saying i did not have the admin rights to alter the program, try going to add remove programs and clicking the tab for modify, this should give you admin acess here. good luck..

nkosi 16:16 14 Sep 03

I didn't mean to say System Works. I'd bought System Works 2003 AND Internet Security 2003 and installed Internet Security first. Before allowing me to install it I had to uninstall my existing Norton setup of System Works 2002 and Firewall. Internet Security installed fine but when I tried to install System Works I got the errors. I thought it was a faulty disk and have arranged to replace it but now realise that it's the drives. Do you think Norton has caused the problem or is that a co-incidence? By the way - I'd set a system restore point before I installed it but XP now says it can't restore to that point - or any other!

nkosi 16:33 14 Sep 03

Both drives operate OK in Safe mode. So it's definitely a software problem. Next step will be to uninstall Norton Internet Security and try again. I have to go out now but will report back later.

nkosi 18:15 14 Sep 03

Followed your advice. Uninstalled Norton using the Change button and the drives worked perfectly. Installed it again to make sure and lost the drives again. Uninstalled and they are OK. So I'll have to abandon Norton for internet security. Fortunately I bought it cheaply on ebay. I have now belatedly followed the advice of the knowledgeable gurus on this site and installed AVG and activated the XP firewall. Many thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…