PC not getting past POST test.. what now?

Simsy 12:48 31 Jul 03

Hi folks,

Can anyone advise on what to do here?..

The problem is that my PC isn?t getting past the ?POST? test. When I switch on there is power present; the CPU fan runs, there is some activity with the HDD and the light/led on the front of the CDRW flicks on and off a bit as normal?. Then nothing. Only a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. No ?BEEPS? at any stage, (unless it all works OK, which now it isn?t at all!)

I have tried reseating the CPU, (P3 550Mhz slot type with integral fan), and the RAM modules, 2 x 128 and 1x 256, with varying degrees of success. Certainly it doesn?t appear to be faulty RAM module because I have had both success and failure using each of the modules alone in turn. The connections all appear solid.

The system is just over 3 years old with an Aopen AX6BC motherboard. Power is generally left feeding the PC all the time. The motherboard manual seems rather wanting in information.

I have some questions based on what little I know about the booting process?..

1) Is the CPU called upon to do work during the POST? (I know the CPU is ?looked for? during the post so my thinking is that it can?t be being used to look for itself, therefore it isn?t being used, and therefore it is unlikely to be a faulty CPU)

2) If the motherboard battery is flat, will this prevent the bios from doing the POST check?

Any suggestions, or corrections to my understanding and chain of thought, would be welcomed.

(I?m on another PC to post this. It is likely to be sporadically that I can get on to look for responses!)

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

pluff 13:05 31 Jul 03

Had the same on a gigabyte ga7vaxp but the screen didn't even come on . tried changing every component with different machines and in the end put it down to a blown board.

Jester2K II 13:11 31 Jul 03

1) CPU is checked during POST

2) Dead Mobo battery only results in the system clock running slow.

Def sounds like blown board - "Power is generally left feeding the PC all the time"

Any storms recently??

Simsy 14:14 31 Jul 03

Jester2K II,

power left on all the time as I understand/understood that is the best thing to do to keep the battery trickle charged.

The fact that it sometimes will boot after a bit of a wriggle suggest to me that perhaps the mobo isn't "blown".... if it was then would it not be a terminal event, i.e. that's it?

Anyway, since my last post I've removed the battery and my meter shows it to be reading vitually dead.... 0.02v instead of 3, so I'm going to replace that anyway!

If it does prove to be a dead Mobo can anyone suggest a source for a replacement.... I'll try ebay.... I don't really want or need to upgrade so I don't want the expense of replacing the CPU or RAM if I dont have to!

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

DieSse 14:25 31 Jul 03

The battery is not a chargeable type - so leaving power on the system does nowt for it.

A flat battery should not prevent a POST running.

Sounds a lot like a motherboard problem.

Simsy 16:21 31 Jul 03

So I seem to be resigned to the fact that it's a mobo problem....

My CPU is a "slot" type P3.... does this mean that it is "Slot 1", (I see quite a few of these on ebay), or are there other types of "slot" processors/motherboards?

Thanks,

Regards ,

Simsy

DieSse 22:03 31 Jul 03

Yup - slot1 it is.

Simsy 22:07 31 Jul 03

I've subsequently gone a different route and have decided to upgrade...

I've got a new mobo and 1.1 athlon, (on grounds of cost and to retain some compatibilty with my existing RAM)

It's half set up... I suspect I'll be seeking more help tomorrow!

Thank you all for your time.

Regards,

Simsy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…