Pc not booting+Hd not recognised in caddy?

buel 12:08 05 May 10

hi, my work mate has just told me that he accidentaly pulled the plug on his pc when it was on and now when he starts it up it wont get to the vista log in stage! He says he has tried using the vista disk to repair it but it doesnt get to the repair stage! He has taken the hd out and put it in a caddy connected to a laptop but it isn't recognised whereas it always used to be! Any ideas please? The hd is spinning, by the way!

buel 16:22 05 May 10

it wouldn't have anything to do with the master/slave settings would it?

mgmcc 16:44 05 May 10

If the drive was performing a read/write operation at the time power was removed, it may have experienced a "head crash". Normally, the arm returns to a parking area when the drive is idle and the PC shuts down. If the heads were over the platters at the time of power loss, the drive would have stopped spinning and, with no air cushion to suspend the heads, they could have crashed on to the platters causing damage.

Do you know of any computer technicians who could check if the drive is still viable?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 05 May 10

Use the Vista DVD to boot to command prompt

At the command prompt run chkdsk /r

on completion retry the repair

buel 19:06 05 May 10

Hi there and thank you! I have to ask how to get the Vista dvd to boot to command prompt please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 05 May 10

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

buel 20:46 05 May 10

Wow! Thank you, and this will get me to the bit where i can type in the command prompt to check the disk?

buel 21:11 06 May 10

Hi, unfortunately, when he starts it up and puts the Vista CD in it wont get to the vista log in stage..!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:33 06 May 10

Has he got the BIOS set to boot CD/DVD drive as first boot device?

buel 11:24 07 May 10

hi, yes apparently he has but now he has elaborated a little and told me that the pc boots up fine with a different hd in bit when this hd is in internally or externally via the caddy he gets the message 'port error reset'? Does this help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 07 May 10

When he connects that drive to another machine does it lock up?

Its probably the drive gone bad and only a firmware update for the drive is likely to cure it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos