PC not booting - no BIOS even!

tasslehoff burrfoot 08:47 24 Feb 05

Hi all

Severe problems with my PC.

Started 2 days ago when the boot up stalled on the BIOS screen at "checking NVRAM". Did a bit of checking on the internet and it seems that removng the CMOS battery would solve this. Went home intending to remove the battery and turned PC on first to check problem was still there.

Fans came on but nothing else, no hard drive activity, no power to optical drives - nothing just 2 whirring fans.

Hoping that the battery would still be the resolution, I removed the back cover and took it out, noticing as I did so that my CPU fan (and I guess the CPU underneath?) where "loose" they are of the sort that you can detach by flicking a metal bracket. Took a look at this and, on the underside (the side which meets the main board) there are loads and loads of gold coloured pins (I presume this is part of the processor) all the way around the outside these pins are bent and out of shape. I guess they are not meant to be?

I have not touched the processor before this time so is it possible that it could have worked fine for the last 11 months and only now be affected by this.

Is it likely that this is the route cause of my problems?

Anyone know what Comet are like for fulfilling there warranty obligations?

Many tanks in advance

Tas

Storik 09:00 24 Feb 05

most certainly should NOT be bent! If they ARE, then the processor will not fit into the socket.

You can straighten these pins VERY GENTLY with a pair of tweezers (I have had occasion to do this successfully)

If your processor is not connected to the motherboard via the socket provided for it, then your computer aint going to work. How your pins have become bent, if you haven't touched it before, remains a mystery.

Somehow, I don't think your warranty will cover this, but I may be wrong.

If you are unable to straighten the pin on your processor to allow it to fit into the socket, then I'm afraid you will need a new one. Sorry!

Storik

Storik 09:10 24 Feb 05

If you DO manage to straighten the pins, do not force your CPU into the socket. You will find, on the underside of the CPU that one corner has a "cut-off" or maybe marked with a small dot/arrow, this is pin one and goes into the relevant markings on the socket. Your CPU, when aligned properly, should drop into the socket, and no force is needed.

Storik

tasslehoff burrfoot 18:26 01 Mar 05

Thankyou for the help.

I have straightened the pins but am unable to insert the CPU without bending themk again!

Looks like I'll pay a professional to do it for me, thanks.

Tas

Storik 20:21 01 Mar 05

I hope you get it fixed. Good luck

Storik

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:51 01 Mar 05

I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new cpu...

Jak_1 21:58 01 Mar 05

Seems like the unit worked lose over time with the vibration from the fan. The pins have to be absolutely straight to fit in. A jewelers eyepiece would be a help when doing this. Though if you damage/break one of the pins then it will certainly mean a new CPU is required. Good luck.

phono 22:12 01 Mar 05

Not wishing to insult you, but have you released the retaining lever on the ZIF socket that the CPU plugs into? If the pins are straight, and the lever has been released, the CPU should literally drop into place.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:20 01 Mar 05

I'm not insulted at all, as I didn't realise this at first!

Tried again and I still can't do it!

Cheers

Storik 23:46 01 Mar 05

Just one thing that might help. If you look on the underside of the CPU, you will see that all the pins are in uniform rows.

Gradually turning the CPU, you will notice that some of these pins are out alignment. It doesn't need to be much to stop the CPU from dropping in the slot.

Work your way around the CPU, aligning each row of pins with the row next door. After you have done that, look down on the underside of the CPU and you can see where the gaps between the pins differ.

That's the way I did it (a friend of mine had actually dropped his and like the buttered side of bread, it landed on the wrong side.) It took ages, but I managed to get it back into the the ZIF socket. It was a bit stiff at first, but once I closed the ZIF lever, it straightend the pins.

I've got to confess it takes a great deal of patience.

Storik

woodchip 23:52 01 Mar 05

The fan should not hold the CPU in!!!! it should be the leaver at the side of the CPU that holds it in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…