pc not booting with new hardware

Scot_andy 10:15 27 Oct 04

i have recently changed the motherboard, processor and bought a new hard disk.
The problem is that when i try to boot using my old xp partition on my old hard disk (as i would normally do) and it wont go any further as to say it has encountered an error.
I figured i needed an xp pro cd, so i set it up to boot from cd and the setup program started without a hitch.

But, when excecuting the windows program at the end of this, it still shows the same error.

The error is:

the computer has shut down to protect the files of your computer.

it this is the first time you have seen this message, then please reboot. If this is not the first time you have seen this message please follow these instructions.

check for viruses, remove any newly installed hard disks and reboot..

What have i done wrong, and how can i fix this...
Thanks for your help guys

Graham ® 10:31 27 Oct 04

You will need to enter the hard drive details in BIOS. Press F1 whilst booting.

PSF 11:09 27 Oct 04

Does the new motherboard have a different chipset to the old motherboard, eg Via Ali SIS etc... If you can boot into safe mode and remove the motherboard drivers and change the IDE controllers to standard. You can remove the IDE controllers in the device manager, they will be re-installed when you boot up.

The other option is to do a repair installation and fit the second hard drive after when the pc has settled down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…