PC Not Booting Up.

Baskerville 11:57 17 May 09

Hi All,

I have a 6 year old PC that cannot boot up for some reason, after turning the PC on it goes into the booting up screen and hangs with the words 'Detecting IDE Drives' but then just does nothing, after turning off and trying again the same thing always happens, could the HD gone bang??
The same problem happened about a year ago and it resolved itself after I turned the comp on and off about 40 times?
No such luck this time!

Thanks for any help,

Baskerville.

howard64 12:04 17 May 09

it could have died but have you checked inside that the leads have not come out of their sockets? By removing the data and power leads from the hard drive and the ribbon cable from the motherboard any corrosion that may have formed on the contacts will be cleaned off when you plug them back in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 17 May 09

As above plus could be the PSU dying, not enough power to run the drives.
try disconnecting all IDE drives (including CD DVD) but the master drive and retry.

Baskerville 13:02 17 May 09

Thanks for the help,

I just tried and after turning on and off 3 times it has booted up as normal! last time this happened it was ok after that so we shall see how I go on, but I have your suggestions on board and many thanks for them,

Baskerville.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…