PC not booting up

tmh2 17:29 11 Feb 09

All help gratefully received.

My PC has crashed. It is a custom build 2 year old m/c with Athlon, 2Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, running XP sp3.

It gave me printing spooling error message, and when I tried to reboot it, it won't go any further than recognising the DVD drive and the HDD. Then nothing, it just stops.

I went into the BIOS to boot by CD and that took over 5 minutes to get into!

Is it the motherboard?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 11 Feb 09

More like hard drive failure or faulty memory.

try with one stick of memory at a time and see if it will boot.

tmh2 17:21 17 Feb 09

Many thanks Fruit Bat.
I removed the memory chips (with an anti-static wristband on). Whilst I was inside I did a bit of a service by hoovering up dust. Booted up using original RAM chips, then installed 2nd, booted up fine, shut down added 3rd and booted up again.

BUT the same error happened when I plugged in my printer. I got another spooler error and the printer had sprung into life and was printing out the same document again!

So, my question is, do you reckon this is a symptom of the hard drive going home? Shall I add a 2nd internal drive, just in case? What would you do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 17 Feb 09

Uninstall printer software and drivers then reinstall them and retry, could be a corrupt driver.

tmh2 10:55 20 Feb 09

Once again, many thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\.
I have done as you suggested re the drivers and so far so good.
Signing off on this problem. Adios

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…