pc not booting up

slim_uk 14:58 22 Jun 04

Hi. I recently went to restart my PC and go on to my own desktop settings. The PC shut down ok, but when it went to start up again all that happened was the Hard Drive light came on but no further action happened. I tried reset and the thre buttons of death but nowt. After about an hour of trying. I gabe up. The following day I went to start it up, and hey presto everything did as it should have. Has this been a warning, that something serious is about to happen? The Pc had been running for about four hours constant, but sitting idle for another four.

I am running windows me, AMD 1200 with 40gig hd (17 Free) and 256 of ram. Can anyone advise?

Diodorus Siculus 16:32 22 Jun 04

Over heated hdd perhaps? Does your case have sufficient cooling?

Diodorus Siculus 16:32 22 Jun 04

Over heated hdd perhaps? Does your case have sufficient cooling?

slim_uk 18:38 22 Jun 04

Yes. There is more than ample cooling. However I did feel that it could be the Hard Drive or the Motherboard.

Rayuk 19:07 22 Jun 04

Download manufacturers software to check hard drive[rules out 1 option]

Diodorus Siculus 19:09 22 Jun 04

May be time for a new hdd - if it is a one off problem then I would not be too concerned but keep your regular backups up to date and think about investing in a new one sometime if you are working with just one.

slim_uk 12:48 23 Jun 04

I have looked for the name of my HDD and all I can find is this, generic ide disk type 47. any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 14:26 23 Jun 04

Something like everest or aida32 should do it - or open the machine and take a look - even at boot up, the manufacturer may be mentioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…