pc no networkcard wi-fi

1973scotty 11:14 07 May 06

hi how can i connect my pc with no network card to netgear dg834g. can i connect this to my pc my pc without it been conected via a network card, will i be able to go online or not.

Taff™ 11:59 07 May 06

How about using a USB Wireless Adapter on the PC. That should do it.

mgmcc 12:43 07 May 06

Normally, a wireless router needs to be configured initially by connecting to it with a "wired" ethernet connection, so that its wireless settings can be set up to let you connect wirelessly.

However, I understand that Netgear's DG834G is one of the very few routers that can be accessed "wirelessly" out-of-the-box. To do this, the PC must have a Wireless Network Adapter installed, which can either be an internal PCI card or a USB WiFi adapter.

Having said that, I really do think that it is safer to have the facility to connect by ethernet cable to the router. A "wired" connection will always be more reliable than a "wireless" one and, if you should have wireless connection problems, you are stuck if you cannot connect to the router. There are USB "wired" ethernet adapters.

1973scotty 13:08 07 May 06

hi got a usb adopter with the router but dose it have to be docked adopter

dms05 14:22 07 May 06

I think mgmcc has answered the main questions well. You can plug the USB adaptor that came with your DG834G into a PC's USB socket and install it to work on that PC. It will then connect to your DG834G and you can configure them. Don't forget to enable the WEP encryption option to make your network secure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…