PC no longer connects to internet

ITBuffoon 11:21 16 Nov 14
Answered

I have a problems with my Dad's PC. It can't connect to the web.

He was first alerted to it when trying to load Firefox, only to receive a message "Couldn't load XPCOM".

The PC runs Windows Vista Home Basic.

The router is working OK, as I can connect via my android mobile and Windows & laptop. I've checked all cables, etc. I can't connect to the web via IE either.

The message in IE says "www.google.co.uk is not set to establish a connection on port WWW service (HTTP) with the computer."

I have tried to uninstall Firefox, to no avail. After trying in the control panel, it just doesn't start the uninstall process.

I have gone back to a restore point from April, it didn't help.

I rebooted to Safe Mode, and Safe Mode with networking, but this didn't help. I still couldn't access the web, or uninstall Firefox.

Any ideas appreciated.

ITBuffoon 11:22 16 Nov 14

I've got to the end of my knowledge!

bumpkin 11:48 16 Nov 14

Try typing ipconfig at the CMD prompt and post what it says.

spuds 12:08 16 Nov 14

Depending on your ISP, I would suggest looking at their support page or contacting them direct for possible help.

The reason why I say that, is due to me having a similar problem, which was resolved by the ISP via their instructions regarding changing things on the computer set-up. Took about 20/30 minutes, but worth it in the end.

ITBuffoon 12:10 16 Nov 14

Thanks.

As I don't know what is significant, I've posted a link to the screen print....

IPconfig results

bumpkin 12:20 16 Nov 14

That looks OK but you could try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

note the space after the g.

ITBuffoon 12:29 16 Nov 14

Hi, Jock1e, I posted a link to the ipconfig results. I run a holiday firm website and had to put the screen print somewhere as this forum doesn't allow it. The link that says ipconfig results should work....I'll try again.

click here

ITBuffoon 12:30 16 Nov 14

Tried ipconfig /release but it says "The requested operation needs elevation"

Secret-Squirrel 12:33 16 Nov 14

ITB, as bumpkin has already stated, your dad's IP configuration looks fine.

I've tackled that pesky Firefox XPCOM a couple of times and I didn't need to uninstall anything but simply installed over the top of the existing version. Use a working computer and download the Firefox setup file then save it to a memory stick - here's the direct link to the British version.

bumpkin 12:34 16 Nov 14

Try renewing it anyway, probably is not the problem but won't do any harm.

bumpkin 12:37 16 Nov 14

Sorry crossed postings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now