PC no longer boots with Vista

prodway 22:37 27 Aug 08

Since last night my pc will not boot up,i have Vista installed and have not made any software or hardware changes recently.Originaly i was getting a NTLDR error upon loading,i searched the internet and found out that i could try a windows fix by inserting the vista disk but when i get to press any key to boot from cd i try pressing buttons but its seems they dont work,although the keyboard works in bios.
Since trying to boot from the hard drive without the vista disk i now get more options titled"error recovery"the options are run in safe mode,safe mode with networking last know good config,but my keyboard wont alow me the move the bar to select any of these options so the clock runs down and it boots from the default option and crashes upon startup.

Any ideas?

Paul.

Zeppelyn 22:39 27 Aug 08

Do you have XP on there as well, ntldr is used to boot NT/2000 and XP.

prodway 22:47 27 Aug 08

No mate,im not sure that ntldr is the root of the problem now as that no longer pops up.My main problem now is that i cant move the cursor bar to change boot up options(such as load last know good config in the error recovery screen).I wouldnt rule the ntldr thing out though.

Cheers

Zeppelyn 22:54 27 Aug 08

Im guessing you have a USB keyboard, can you double check in BIOS if USB legacy devices is enabled.

MAT ALAN 22:59 27 Aug 08

click here

NTLDR errors do not show in vista so not quite sure where/how message was generated, the link may help.As far as keyboard is concerned try direction arrows or another keyboard...

Zeppelyn 22:59 27 Aug 08

Alternatively have you got an old PS2 keyboard lying about?

prodway 22:59 27 Aug 08

great,nice 1,it was disabled,its allowing me to use my keyboard now.I'll let you know how i get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…