pc with no ethernet connection

montie2600 21:13 09 Feb 08

Hi there
hope someone can help with this!
I recently bought a buffalo wireless router/modem +usb2.0 wireless adaptor intended for use with a laptop with windows vista and a desktop pc with windows 98,unfortunatly the older desktop wont pick up the adaptor even though i have ran the disc to load the drivers so i was going to set it up with a wired network,but my pc does not have an ethernet connection is there some way i can get round this or some kind of adaptor to change ethernet to say usb or something else.
many thanks in advance.

Kemistri 22:10 09 Feb 08

With very rare and specific exceptions, you must have an Ethernet LAN in order to configure a router or other network switch or server anyway. So you're going to need to find an Ethernet-equipped client from somewhere...

And since Win98 (crikey, that's old!) has no native support for wireless LAN devices, you will unfortunately need to install the adapter's management software in addition to the driver. WZC was not conceived of ten years ago.

montie2600 12:50 10 Feb 08

thanks for your help,i was just hoping to use the pc as well as my laptop.

Tim1964 00:22 14 Feb 08

I tried to use a Linksys wireless 'dongle' that connected via USB to a Win98 machine but (as above) it would not work with that OS even though I had a driver disc or it.

It was just plug and play on an XP laptop though.

I found that, when fitting an ethernet card (less than £5), it took longer to take the case off the PC than to fit the card inside it. It's a very simple job and you will find it much easier in the long run when wireless router et al come into play.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…