PC with new mobo won't boot with PCI WIFI card

cyberphobic 13:40 21 Oct 05

I have "repaired" a friends PC which involved fitting a new motherboard and CPU (Asus P3V133 with Pentium 3 650)the machine works fine but will not boot when I insert the Wifi PCI card (Actiontec 802p125).I have downloaded the correct drivers but as the machine won't boot this isn't helping. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

PaulB2005 13:48 21 Oct 05

Error messages?

cyberphobic 13:50 21 Oct 05

The machine doen't POST so there is no screen display

splork 13:52 21 Oct 05

Is the wifi card new?

cyberphobic 13:57 21 Oct 05

No not new, but it worked fine with the previous mobo, I also have an identical Actiontec PCI card which doesn't work in this PC but works in another one, so the problem is specific to the PC rather than the card (if you see what I mean)

splork 14:03 21 Oct 05

Have you tried unplugging a few devices, hard drives for example, and switching on with the card inserted? Perhaps the PSU is struggling.

cyberphobic 15:10 21 Oct 05

Thanks - will try that

dan11 15:43 21 Oct 05

You should have 4 pci slots with that board?

Have you tried the card in all 4?

In the bios it may be worth checking on the ISA PCI/PNP IRQ resource exclusion. If you are not using any ISA cards, make sure that all settings are disabled to free all the IRQ settings.

It may also be worth trying the reset configuration data setting in the bios. With the card out, boot to bios and set it to reset configuration data, shut down. Insert card and boot up. See if it sees the card and resets the data.

cyberphobic 16:59 21 Oct 05

dan11 thanks for that - sounds promising, will try that when I get home.

cyberphobic 06:48 25 Oct 05

Despite my best eforts and the assistance received, I was unable to resolve this problem. Fortunately I had a "spare" motherboard which did the trick!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…