PC Networking Problem

ekblue 23:39 07 Feb 04

Hi Guys, I was I wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I overcome the following problem I have encountered whilst trying to network 2 pcs together.

The PCs are both running windows XP (1 home and 1 Pro). 1 Pc is a 2.6gz p4 whilst the other is P3 550 mhz. In both PCs I have fitted a belkin 10/100 pci card which Windows automatically installed the drivers for. Unfortunately the documentation that came with the Belkin card does not explain the process for network configuration for XP. So I followed the Network Set up wizard in XP to set up a small office network which operated fine in 2nd pc (550Mz) but not the main PC which returned a sub spooler error though it did complete the process.

One of the things that may have had this effect ??? is that the main board on my PC has its own networking system which I set to disabled in windows but my connections available are as follows (with only the alcatel and realtec set as active).

“Alcatel Speedtouch Connection Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP
1394 Connection 1394 Net Adapter

Local Area Connection 2 Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Local Area Connection SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter”

When I check the LAC 2 (the active one) the status box shows that activity has taken place both for sent and revived packets but when I view work book computers the following error shows

“Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available”.

When I check the connection on the 2nd PC it is showing the name of the 1st PC in the network places/View other workbook computers but it will not allow me access to any files even though when I set the link up I ticket the sharing options boxes.

I would be grateful for any help and I can provide more info about both PCs/ Network if you need it.

Cheers
EK

Vit 23:49 07 Feb 04

Hello. I had the same problem a couple of months ago when trying to get my son's and his friends pc's to join our home network. Spent weeks trying to figure it out. In the end it turned out that both pc's had firewalls enabled. ( both were using pc-cillin anti virus with firewall enabled )
Now I have similar problem again. I just purchased new pc running ms2000. All other pc's on network are running xp. The ms2000 pc can access files from other networked pc's but other pc's cannot access this new pc. No firewall this time so I dont know what the problem is. So I think we have the same problem.

ekblue 23:58 07 Feb 04

Hi Vit,

It could be at present only my main PC has a firewall (Norton) I will try disabling it and see if I can get them to communicate I will let you know how I get on.

EK

ekblue 00:25 08 Feb 04

Looks like that disabling Norton did the trick i will now just have to find a way running the firewall at the same time.

ekblue 00:25 08 Feb 04

thanks for your help Vit

Vit 01:10 08 Feb 04

Glad you have solved your problem. My main machine is running Zonealarm, but I dont think that is my problem as I have no trouble with other 3 pc's on my home network. I do remember putting a range of ip addresses into the trusted zone some time ago. My new pc is running windows 2000 so now I am installing xp on it and have a dual boot up system and see if that solves my problem. All my other pc's are running xp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…