PC mysteriously dying overnight

yousef1979 19:54 04 Dec 08

I left my ageing desktop PC seeding a torrent overnight and checked on it this morning to find that the monitor would only show a 'no signal' message.

I tried moving the mouse, tapping a few random keys and ctrl-alt-del to no effect. I reset the machine using the button on the front of the box and eventually ended up manually shutting it down.

Now when I try to turn it on nothing happens - not even the initial beep from the internal speaker.

I'm guessing that this is not a particularly good sign but I'm mystified as to what might have happened. And is there any simple way of bringing it back to life?

At the very least, might I be able to remove the hard drives and get a laptop to rescue my data using a drive enclosure?

Any advice or sympathy would be much appreciated.

Belatucadrus 20:12 04 Dec 08

Sounds like that most irritating problem, "the undiagnosed hardware fault". Will probably take some hands on fiddling with to diagnose. Usual method is to strip the PC down to basics, ie one stick of RAM and no peripherals, where hopefully it will work, then one by one put things back until you find the problem component and replace it.
Does the desktop have a graphics card, or does it use on-board MOBO graphics ?
As to rescuing data, this depends on what's gone pear shaped. If the hard drive is OK then the data is safe, if it's died then you have a problem.

yousef1979 20:16 04 Dec 08

Thanks for that.

Sounds like a job for the weekend...

Irritatingly, I was in the process of gradually extracting everything I wanted to keep from that PC's hard drives and getting rid of it. It hadn't even been switched on for a fortnight.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:28 04 Dec 08

Now when I try to turn it on nothing happens - not even the initial beep from the internal speaker.

No signs of life at all could be PSU, motherboard or CPU.

ronalddonald 21:54 04 Dec 08

happened is that if there's lighting the mother board could of been fried up.

i am aware that most computers left plugged in on or off or standby during a thunder storm where there is lightning can affect the circuits of the computer. I always unplug from the socket my computer or use the on off switch if there is one.

Im making an initial guess of what could of happened.

Stuartli 21:56 04 Dec 08

Could be the motherboard battery as you state it's an older system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant