PC Monitors....Long term exposure...DANGEROUS?

Wulfrune 02:02 28 Jun 03

I'm surrounded by a bank of about 30 CRT Monitors and I'm starting to get concerned about the long term implications to my health, anyone here care to give their thoughts or advice?

Many thanks....Wulfrune

Pesala 06:09 28 Jun 03
  -pops- 06:16 28 Jun 03

My son's are both medics and they say that one day working in an X-ray department will give you more exposure to X radiation than a whole lifetime of looking at a television.

Brian

Pesala 06:46 28 Jun 03

but one day watching television will cause more brain damage than a whole life time working in an X-ray department. (~_~)

Ping Pong 07:33 28 Jun 03

Most modern monitors are well sheilded so that radiation is not an issue per se. The only real issue you have is on the quality of the monitors. If you are working with 30 cheap monitors then the effects on your eyes from these screens refreshing can be worrying. With 30 flickering screens your eyes will get tired quicker. When you notice that your eyes are starting to ache take a break.
If on the other hand you are dealing with high quality natural flat style screens the stress will be a lot less on your eyes however I would still reccommend taking a break at least every two hours. You only have one set of peepers and no amount of money or job is worth the deterioration of your eyesight.

-pops- 07:44 28 Jun 03

!!!Excellent comment!!!

Brian

The Spires 09:04 28 Jun 03

Pesala :-)

Forum Editor 09:09 28 Jun 03

about this and you'll get a dozen different opinions.

CRT monitors generate an Electro-magnetic field which is necessary in order to focus the electrons on the back of the screen, and when you sit in front of the screen you are immersed in this field. Whether or not you are being harmed in this way is a matter of debate, but there is certainly a body of opinion to suggest that long-term exposure to EMF radiation may be harmful.

The problem is made worse by the fact that it isn't only CRT screens which produce EMF, all kinds of electronic devices are doing it, and that's what some experts think is the real problem - we're being exposed to many differnet sources all the time. Chief among the suspects of late has been the mobile phone, and there's been a good deal of talk about the dangers of using these over prolonged periods.

The jury's still out on EMF radiation, and it would be a foolish person who said that there was no need for concern. We really just don't know, and in a way that may be a good thing, because non of us can avoid some exposure to the background radiation that's all around us in a modern society.

The best advice I can pass on is that you do not sit too close to your screens, and that you avoid working at the back of them when they're switched on - the radiation field is stronger there.

Sir Radfordin 09:27 28 Jun 03

My opinion is it would be the environment you end up working in that would be worse for your health than the equipment itself. Monitors tend to generate heat and dry out the air. Prolonged times in those conditions doesn't do you much good.

If you are in this environment as part of your work then you should speak to the Health and Safety Rep and see what their advice is.

Problem is that we've not have monitors long enough to know what long term problems there could be! They change and improve all the time so the long term impact could also be changing. Come back in 90 years and tell us how you got on!

Steve- 09:55 28 Jun 03

I have nifty little "Magic" screwdriver from Maplin's which lights uo when it detects EMR, Microwaves etc, this device comes on full when put 2 or 3 inches my main TV screen, in fact with a cheap 13" TV it lights up fully anywhere up to 10 or 12 inches from the screen.

With any of my Computer monitors it does not register any radiation at all even when touching the screen surface, I guess the energy levels in the electron beams in a Monitor are considerably less than in TV's and the screening better.

I would worry about being near a cheap TV for hours, far more than being near my Computers.

The Spires 09:58 28 Jun 03

The sun even on a cloudy day could never be called 'safe' either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…