PC MONITOR SCREEN GONE BLACK

rotormota 20:55 10 Sep 05

My father's PC has just been upgraded/fixed & returned to him but his existing monitor (flatscreen LCD) is basically showing a black image though he can see the desktop screen very, very faintly in the 'gloom'.

He has adjusted the screens own settings but is unable to see enough of the desktop to do anything via Windows.

He has checked & double checked the connections. Is there something obvious he may be missing?

OS WinXPSP2.

Regards,
J

Magic Hobo 21:09 10 Sep 05

a crt monitor then i would have guessed that the tube had gone, just like a t.v. But seeing as it's an LCD display i have no idea :o( . Anyway this post will act as a bump to get you to the top. Maybe someone else can help you :o)

woodchip 21:13 10 Sep 05

This sounds just like a Laptop screen when the back light goes

woodchip 21:15 10 Sep 05

It may be faulty graphics card or the card may need reseating. PS also check for a bent montitor plug pin

Totally-braindead 21:17 10 Sep 05

Only suggestion I have is to try the monitor on someone elses PC and see if that works. Also check the graphics drivers are installed though even if they weren't you should still get a well lit screen.

Gongoozler 21:18 10 Sep 05

I have little experience of LCD monitors, but this looks to me like it could be the illumination tube has died or become disconnected. The LCD monitor works by illuminating a background with something similar to a fluorescent tube and filtering the light through the liquid crystal elements, so without the illumination tube I would expect to see the effect you are describing.

rotormota 21:26 10 Sep 05

Thanks chaps. One of the upgrades did involve a graphics card. This said, his PC did work on the engineers monitor.

MuddyPaws does also say that if he shines a spotlight at the screen this is when he can see the desktop all be it far too faintly to operate anything- ie virtual black out.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
J

Gongoozler 21:33 10 Sep 05

Most LCD monitors have a message screen or setup menu. You should be able to see this even without the computer connected. If this screen is also dark, then it's even more likely that the tube has failed. I haven't yet found a UK source of these tubes, but this US site lists them and they don't look too expensive click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 10 Sep 05

Have you got the monitor drivers loaded?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…