pc memory/hard drive

asrobs 11:10 27 Sep 05

HI, COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT IS ADDED TO THE HARD DRIVE AND WHAT IS PUT ON TO THE MEMORY WHEN USING THE PC ALTHOUGH I HAVE A 200GB HARD DRIVE I THINK THAT THE 512MB MEMORY IS OVER HALF OCCUPIED,!! ALREADY I FEEL THAT I NEED TO UPGRADE THE MEMORY BUT THE HARD DRIVE STILL HAS AMPLE ROOM ALMOST THREE QUARTERS LEFT asrobs.

Grantrh 11:13 27 Sep 05

The hard drive stores files such as image files word documents etc and u can instal programs on it.
The Memory is where programs run and is emptied when u excite a program or shut down your PC.

asrobs 17:21 24 Oct 05

HI, SORRY TO BE SO LONG ANSWERING YOUR REPLY BUT AM STILL NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN,---DO YOU MEAN THAT I WILL ONLY USE THE MEMORY DEPENDING ON THE CURRENT USE ON THE DAY? AND THIS REDUCES TO ZERO ON SHUT DOWN IF SO WHY DOES IT SHOW A USAGE OF OVER HALF ON OPENING???? would this be the programmes loaded at opening!asrobs.

rawprawn 17:31 24 Oct 05

I think Grantrh has explained very well, stop worrying with 200gb HDD and 512 RAM you are fine.

PS. Posting in upper case is regarded as shouting

Diemmess 17:42 24 Oct 05

RAM memory as Grantrh has explained, is working space (behind the scenes) for your computer.

By the time you see your desktop the RAM has been loaded with a host of drivers and other things which are part of running Windows anyway.

This is why you could upgrade with more RAM if you want to run several applications at the same time but otherwise cost v. improvement becomes less and less worthwhile.

rawprawn says rightly, you are OK as you are,- nothing bad is happening.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 24 Oct 05

Hard drive stores your operating system (XP)and programs in the form of Folders and files.

ASs you use the operating system and programs data is transfered to and from the memory and also to a part of the hard drive that acts as memory called the pagefile.

The less memory you have the more space is used on the hard drive in the pagefile.

Writing to and from the pagefile is slower than writing to or from memory.

Therfore the less memory you have the slower the PC operates.

As you have noticed several programs and process are loaded on startup and use precious memory, a PC can be speeded up by not loading unecessary programs at start.

freaky 18:08 24 Oct 05

Memory or RAM (Random access memory) is also known as Volatile Ram. This is because the amount of data it holds varies between the minimum and the maximum capacity available - depending on the programs running at any particular time.

If the PC is running programs that require more RAM than is available, then the Operating System uses space on the Hard Drive. Consequently the flow of data slows as this is very much slower than RAM. Hence a PC sometimes being slow to start up and shut down.

In a nutshell, 512MB of RAM capacity is a minimum figure especially if you use Windows XP. Ideally you should have 1024MB or more.

In your post it would appear that you are confusing Hard Drive capacity and Memory capacity. Your HD holds all the permanent information about your PC, and the programs you have installed on it - the only way to remove what is stored on it, is by the user deleting it.

When you switch off the PC, the data stored on the HD remains. Whereas anything in RAM at the time of switching off disappears.

Hope this information helps.

P.S Suggest you do not uppercase in future posts
as it is considered bad etiquette. Same applies to email messages!

asrobs 11:39 25 Oct 05

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I am sorry to offend the protocol but am fairly new to the game and I feel its a bind to keep thinking of Capitals!it just appeared to be easier to type in upper case.asrobs.

wee eddie 12:11 25 Oct 05

It's all to do with ease of reading.

Lower case with Punctuation and Paragraphs makes a thread easy to read and, most of all, easy to understand.

Good luck - By the way - This forum can prove addictive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…