PC Memory

Trekker24689 19:16 27 Nov 05

Hi there am just new to this forum..

I want to get my dad more memory for his computer and the chips that he has in his machine are PC100 128MB * 2 (Only 2 slots).

The computer is an old dell Pentium 3 733Htz.

The question i am asking is can i put in a PC133 or does this have to be a PC100 chip.

Also this might seem silly but is the PC100 the same as the PC2100?

Thanks
Trekker24689

Skyver 19:36 27 Nov 05

You can put PC133 in, but the memory will only run as fast as the slowest chip installed (PC100 - 100mhz)
click here
PC2100 is DDR memory, different thing.

The Kestrel 19:36 27 Nov 05

Go to click here and use their online checker to select the correct memory for your dad's PC. Crucial memory is by far the most reliable for all machines.

csqwared 19:38 27 Nov 05

You cannot mix different types of memory in the same machine. If you intend to get more memory you would need to get one or two sticks of PC100. You can get 512MB in one stick. PC100 is SDRAM whilst PC2100 is DDR and different. A good guide to memory stuff is here click here and I'm sure some of the more knowledgable "forumers" will be along soon

Cheers

cc

The Kestrel 19:39 27 Nov 05

Sorry Trekker24689 gave you incorrect link it should be click here

Skyver 19:40 27 Nov 05

Agreed, Crucial do the best stuff, in case I added confusion by adding my link.

Trekker24689 20:02 27 Nov 05

Thanks for all the responses.

I have looked at the sites recommended and got the correct chips.

Will have a look around and see where i can get the cheapest if not will buy from crucial.

Thanks again

Trekker

Trekker24689 20:18 27 Nov 05

One other thing.

I saw on the site Skyver put on (click here) that there is double sided and single sided PC100 and wanted to know the differance?

Presumable as said that the Double sided will work on my dad's machine but would rather have the single as it is cheaper.

Thanks

Trekker

Skyver 21:13 27 Nov 05

It just means the memory chips are mounted both sides of the module, I've never experienced any problems with either format.

Skyver 21:20 27 Nov 05

BTW. If you were going to order from there rather than Crucial, don't bother with the generic stuff, get branded or named memory. I would usually favour Crucial but sometimes it's not possible to obtain such dated hardware.

DieSse 22:25 27 Nov 05

Single and double sided RAM is VERY important f you have an older system - which that *may* be.

It's more then whether chips are mounted on bot sidea of te module - and sometimes (a bit more accurately) referred to as low and high density.

The actual difference is in the number of address lines used to talk to the modules by the system. Low density modules only have 15 address lines - which is all some older system s have. High density uese 16 lines - so what happens if you put a HD module into a system that only supports LD, typically you only see half of the RAM capacity.

A system of that age *may* only accept single-sided (low density) modules - so it IS very important you get the correct ones.

If your system is capable of using HD modules, then it can accept both types - which is why some people never see any problems with either type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant