pc mega failure

superfluke 14:36 04 Jun 03

My second p.c. (used largely for my children's games) refuses to show any signs of life, no indicator lights, etc. The mains lead has power but the pc appears dead, not even responding to the reset button. Can someone assist this geriatric p.c. novice?

xtreme_computing 14:39 04 Jun 03

make sure the power cable is in properly to the back of the computer, and make sure the fuse is ok in the plug.

has the computer been knocked or anything because if it has, maybe something has come loose

graham√ 14:43 04 Jun 03

Ensure power is going in to the PC by trying another good lead. If you are confident, look inside (power off) for any loose leads.

Diemmess 15:51 04 Jun 03

PSU has given up is the safest bet............ so if you are sure that the juice is arriving at the Power Supply Unit then buy a new PSU, (this time no less than 300watts - more if you have a screamer chip and lots of peripherals)

Murray 16:18 04 Jun 03

what extra things do you have inside

CD RW DVD, multiple hard disks, fancy graphics, fast athlon RAM

all of these gobble up power so check here first

Sion 16:21 04 Jun 03

Check that the power cable that is attached to the motherboard is properly connected. Shoudl be a large 12pin connector, close to the processor. You can't miss it.

talia 18:27 04 Jun 03

check for power output at a spare power connection or in the back the m/board connection.

I had a similar problem that power was reaching the power unit but not the mother board and had to change the power unit

Gongoozler 20:00 04 Jun 03

superfluke, how old is the pc? If it has an AT power supply, the mains is routed through the power switch. If it's ATX, then the on/off switch is routed through the motherboard and sends a power on/off signal to the supply via the ATX power connector on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…