pc making funny noises on start up

asdachick 09:21 09 Nov 07

any suggestions my pc is makin like a clicking nnoise then a beep so far thru start up mnever done it b4,also when the messenger window comes and i put password in its like someone pressed hashes,hence not saved a password,i have rebooted too noises were the same and password,hope it s not a virus

johnnyrocker 09:23 09 Nov 07

operating system and other specs would be of use.

johnny.

asdachick 09:24 09 Nov 07

wat do u mean

Technotiger 09:33 09 Nov 07

What Johnny means is - are you using Windows XP Home or Win ME or Win '98 for instance.

Technotiger 09:35 09 Nov 07

And to add anyway - clicking noise is a bit ominous, could be warning that hard drive might have a problem. I hope you have a good back-up in case it is a faulty hard drive.

asdachick 09:50 09 Nov 07

windows xp ,and no my drive is faulty so how can i create back up disc,one drive works other says no disc in drive

asdachick 10:01 09 Nov 07

my pc still under guarantee at the moment,maybe i shud send it in to PC world,hopefully they wont say noises and say that means nothin it not hardware prob or somethin daft

Technotiger 10:17 09 Nov 07

one drive works other says no disc in drive ... I am assuming these are both either CD or DVD ROM drives for playing and or recording CD/DVD's. What size is your hard drive 40Gb, 80Gb etc? How much RAM (Memory) have you got 256Mb/512Mb/1Gb or more? Do you have an external USB hard drive? Do you have a Sound card and/or Graphics card inside your PC, or is either Sound or Graphics built-in to the Motherboard. Do you know the make/model of your Motherboard?

All this probably seems very daunting, but that is what is know as the specs (specifications).

If you can download and run this free program it will give you all the answers to my questions above - it takes a minute or two and will tell you all about your own PC. ...click here

Technotiger 10:19 09 Nov 07

Hmmm, have just seen your last comments there - Yes, it would be a good idea to return it to PC World for their assessment. If it is faulty they should sort it for you at no cost to you.

asdachick 11:20 09 Nov 07

u aint gonna believe this i have just noticed my @ button was stuck down!!! i feel such a prat ,i am gigglin but feel stupid,no clickin noises now oops

Totally-braindead 11:24 09 Nov 07

Wouldn't worry about feeling a prat, I spent weeks trying to work out why my numeric pad on my keyboard didn't work. The answer. The numeric lock was off, pressed it and that was that.
So you see we all do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…